Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Max/MSP Patches

Apparently you can use all sorts of apps to communicate with your Arduinome - like ChucK or Processing but I'm going to stick to Max/MSP for now, it seems to be the most commonly used.

Plug in your Arduinome, fire up ArduinomeSerial and get Max Runtime going.  Click File->Open in Max Runtime and open the monome_test.mxb that you downloaded earlier (in the last post).  You should see something like this:

monome_test

Click the "/sys/prefix /test" button (highlighted in red on top above) - this seems to set up the Arduinome to work with this patch - Arduinome Serial should show "/test" in the Address Pattern Prefix.  Now when you press buttons you should see them light up.  If you select toggle in the pairing (also in red above) - you can now draw by pressing buttons on your Arduinome!! Here's a space invader I did:

IMG_0142

I did some other images too - when I tried to do a self-portrait I just couldn't get my ear right.  It was maddeningly frustrating.  Instead of doing a Van Gogh on it and cutting off my ear, I've ordered another set of Sparkfun buttons and will attach them to the side of my head when they arrive.

Some other patches I found that worked so far were:

  • monome_midi_press_64 - play some piano
  • monome_midi_64 - more piano
  • skr - really sounds like Daphne Oram
  • maxlife - Conway's Game of Life
  • nerdscroll - scroll text (IN CAPS) across monome

Generally they all work by clicking a /sys/prefix button first.

Nerdscroll highlighted a problem for me that would cause me to muck up everything...

No comments: