Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Shields up!

... what a dorky blog title - sorry! :)

I'm writing all this from the future (no still no hoverboards), I got my shield last week and did a load of work on it but haven't blogged about anything since so this is written in retrospect.  Anyways, I got my shield:

IMG_0045

And started to solder it all up with my new temperature controlled soldering iron.  It was so worth it to get, I just dial in the temperature I want and don't have to worry about it overheating anymore.  Because I can solder and solder without having to take a break for the iron to cool down, the only worry left is having too much fun hallucinating from the solder fumes.  First I put on the chip seats (with the dimple in the right place).

IMG_0051 IMG_0052

Then the pin headers:

IMG_0055

Then the resistor network... shit, it's the wrong size so I just made like a undertaker and cut the leg off so it fits.

IMG_0056 IMG_0059

Next I put in the 22k resistor (didn't have a 20k) and the capacitors.  For mine the cathode (or negative) was the leg with a dot printed above it on the capacitor.  The bigger capacitor had a minus sign and a shorter leg to indicate the cathode.

IMG_0060

This was all made really really simple with the temperature controlled soldering iron.  Now it fits neatly on the Arduino:

IMG_0067

I'm dreading the next stage, wiring up...

No comments: